Watch this space for details and updates!
In a few weeks the advising & registration period for the Summer and Fall 2022 semesters will begin :-) In this InfoPost you will find out a bit more about the Summer and Fall 2022 advising timeline and when certain things will happen. As new information is available, this blog post will be updated, so keep it in mind, and check back, when you have questions! If your questions are not answered by this blog post, please use the comments feature at the bottom of this post to ask questions.
Before meeting your with advisor:
- Please log into WISER (http://wiser.umb.edu) and make sure you don't have any holds on your account! The only hold that we (applied linguistics) can remove is the "Advising Hold." If you have other holds on your account you need to get those resolved ASAP with the appropriate departments. An immunization hold, or hold of any other sort, means that we are not going to be able to register you! Please make sure to take care of all holds on your account as soon as possible.
- Please log into WISER and download a copy of your unofficial transcript. Your advisor will need you to provide this to them in preparation for advising and course registration.
Common Holds that prevent registration:
- IMM (Immunization): If you are an online student, and you opt to apply for the immunization exemption, then you have to fill out the form every semester and mail it to University Health Services so that the immunization hold can be removed. If you are an on-campus student you will need to make sure that all immunizations are in order. Please see the University Health Services website for more information: http://www.umb.edu/healthservices/information_for_new_students.
- EMC (Emergency Contact and Address Verification): Students are required to verify their emergency contacts and address every year. You can do this in WISER.
- PD1 (Past-due balance): This hold is placed when a student has a past-due balance for their tuition bill. Please contact the Bursar's Office.
- WEH (Wellness Education Hold): All new students are required to complete an online Wellness Education module. For more information about the requirement and instructions for how to access it, go to:https://www.umb.edu/healthservices/information_for_new_students/new_student_wellness_education Students who have not completed the requirement by the deadline receive this hold.
- AC1 (Conditional Admission): Please contact the Admissions office to see what information they need from you.
Note for new Fall Semester Students (On-campus & Online):
Even though new students will not be registered right away (since your paperwork for admissions may not have been fully processed yet) no need to worry. There will be spots available in introductory courses for you! We will be registering you for APLING 601, APLING 603, and/or APLING 605 (two of our three introductory courses). If you would like to register for a 3rd course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Please see your welcome letter, sent by email, for more information.
SUMMER ONLINE MASTERS courses
- APLING 670: Testing in the ESL Classroom - TONOGBANUA, Elizabeth (12 week summer course)
- NOTE: If you are a campus student and you need this course for licensure purposes please make sure to talk to your advisor earlier rather than later. This course fills up quickly!
- APLING 616: Curriculum Development in Bilingual Education - MATTHIEU, Corinne (12 week summer course)
- APLING 632: Forensic Linguistics - BECKMAN, Kristina (12 week summer course)
- APLING 633: Discourse Analysis in ESL - SCLAFANI, Jennifer (12 week summer course)
FALL ONLINE MASTERS courses
- APLING 601: Linguistics - MIKROS, George
- APLING 603: Language, Culture, and Identity - BECKMAN, Kristina
- APLING 605: Theories and Principles of Language Teaching - TBA
- APLING 621: Psycholinguistics - O'BRYAN, Anne
- APLING 623: Sociolinguistics - CHUN, Christian
- APLING 690: Field Experience - KISS, Katherine
- APLING 611: Methods and Material in Foreign Language Pedagogy - KISS, Katherine
- APLING 614: Foundations of Bilingual and Multicultural Education - TBA
- APLING 627: Phonetics & Phonemics - MIKROS, George
- APLING 643: Historical Foundations of Critical Pedagogy - GOUNARI, Panayota
- APLING 669: Writing Theories - BARBOSA, Perla
FALL CAMPUS MASTERS Courses
- APLING 601: Linguistics (W @ 4pm) - ETIENNE, Corinne
- APLING 605: Theories and Principles of Language Teaching (Th @ 7pm) - TBA
- APLING 621: Psycholinguistics (Tu @ 7pm) - GOUNARI, Panayota
- APLING 698: Practicum (licensure) (BY ARRG) - LEIDER, Chris
- APLING 611: Methods and Material in Foreign Language Pedagogy (Tu @ 4pm) - URBANSKI, Kimberly
- APLING 614: Foundations of Bilingual and Multicultural Education (M @ 4pm) - LEIDER, Chris
FALL PHD Courses*
- APLING 700: Issues in APLING (W @ 7pm) - CARHILL-POZA, Avary [CAMPUS]
- APLING 703: Research Methods (Th @ 4pm) - CHUN, Christian [CAMPUS]
- APLING 707: Language and Pedagogy (M @ 7pm) - URBANSKI, Kimberly [CAMPUS]
- APLING 890: PhD Colloquium (BY ARRG) - CARHILL-POZA [CAMPUS]
* Please note: Master's students need prior faculty approval in order to enroll in PhD courses.
Each degree-seeking graduate student is required to maintain continuous registration until the degree that the student is seeking has been formally awarded. If a graduate student does not register for course, thesis, or dissertation credits during any semester, the student must pay a program fee to maintain continuous registration. The program fee for all students is $225.00 per semester and is paid to the One-Stop Student Center. Note: Payment of the program fee does not extend the time limit for completion of the degree, nor does it make a student eligible for student loan deferments.
Please do not ask for textbooks just yet :-) As soon as we have a list of textbooks for each course, we will post a notice on the Announcements box (top center of umasslinguistics.com).
We expect Summer textbooks to be posted around May 1st.
We expect Fall textbooks to be posted around June 1st.
February 24 – March 4:
Your advisors will be contacting you via email. Please check your UMass Boston student, and your specifically your spam folder (emails are sent to the preferred email from WISER, which is usually the UMB email). Your advisor will contact you to set up an appointment to meet with you. You can meet by phone, by email, by skype, or if you are local you can meet in person! :-) Be prepared to discuss your goals, and what courses you might be interested in signing up for. In consultation with your advisor you will pick 2 or 3 courses for next semester. Your advisors will tell us (AK or Evy) which courses you decided to sign up for and we will sign you up.
Please note that your advisor is not listed on WISER. We keep an internal departmental database to keep advisors and advisees :-)
Student Checklist Item: If you haven't heard from your advisor by March 10, please email email@example.com and let us know :-)
March 1 - April 1: This is the advising period. You should be meeting with your advisor during this period. If you are interested in summer courses, you need to talk to your academic advisor early on.
April 20 – May 1: During this period of time we (AK and Evy) will be going through and registering all students for courses. This is true for both online and on-campus students. If you log into WISER and you are not registered for a course yet, don't panic! By May 1st you will be :-) We will be monitoring this forum to make sure everything's going well and answering questions as they come up. If, for some reason, you aren't registered May 1 – May 10 will be a catch-up and correction week for registrations.
Student Checklist Item: On May 10, please check your WISER account to make sure that you are registered for courses, and that you are registered for the courses you and you advisor agreed upon. If you are not registered for courses, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org
May 5 - May 20 Non-Degree Registration period (for the summer semester). If you are a non-degree student, once all currently enrolled students are registered, we will begin processing non-degree registrations. It's important to note that prior to May 5 we will not know how many available spots there are in courses :-)
Student Checklist Item: If you are a non-degree student who wishes to register for a Summer 2019 course, please check in on May 5th to see what courses are available. Once you submit registration paperwork, you should be registered within a few days (depending on how busy the registrar's office is :-) )
June 1st: Book Lists will be posted, for Fall Semester courses, in the Classroom group. Please be patient until then and refrain from emailing us or asking questions about book lists :-)
August 10 - September 1 Non-Degree Registration period (for fall semester). If you are a non-degree student, once all currently enrolled students are registered, we will begin processing non-degree registrations. It's important to note that prior to August 20th we will not know how many available spots there are in courses :-)
Student Checklist Item: If you are a non-degree student who wishes to register for a fall 2016 course, please check in on August 10 to see what courses are available. Once you submit registration paperwork, you should be registered within a few days (depending on how busy the registrar's office is)
- Who is my advisor?
Your advisor is not listed on WISER (this is only an undergraduate advising feature :( ). If you don't hear from your advisor by March 15th please email email@example.com and we'll get you in touch with them :). Your advisor's name was listed in the welcome letter from the time of your admissions (if you haven't changed your advisor).
- WISER does not show my advisor, what's up with that?
The WISER system is set up for undergraduate advisors. Unfortunately, we do not have access to change this, so graduate students will show a blank advisor. Rest assured that you have an advisor, they just don't show up in WISER :-)
- Can I change advisors?
Of course! If you would like to change advisor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your UMS number in the request, and the reason you would like to change advisors.
- Can I register without meeting my advisor?
You will not be able to register without meeting your advisor
- I have a hold, can you register me?
We can only override the "Advising" hold if you've met with your advisor. We cannot override other holds, so we cannot register you if you have holds.
- I met with my advisor, and I was told I was "all set" but I don't see courses in WISER. What's the deal?
When you meet with your advisor you are placed in a queue to be registered by either AK or Evy. We usually register students in the queue on Thursdays and Fridays. We will not begin registering students until April 20th. If it's before 4/20 it's normal that you may not be registered yet. If it's after 4/20 and you are not registered there might be a hold on your account preventing us from registering you - please check to see if there is a hold and have it removed :). Finally, if you have no holds, and it's past 4/20, and you're still not registered, please contact email@example.com and we can sort it out :)
As always, if you find this InfoPost helpful, please hit the "like" button :)